Bali is the perfect destination for a family vacation. The amazing beaches, beautiful sunsets, fabulous restaurants, welcoming locals and interesting culture keep people returning for Bali family holidays every year.
One of the tricks of planning the perfect holiday in Bali with kids is choosing where to stay in Bali. There are many different areas to choose from, with each of the best locations in Bali boasting its own distinctive feel.
Which area to stay in Bali will be dependent on the type of vacation you are looking for. Perhaps the best place to stay in Bali with kids is the one with the biggest concentration of five star resorts, or perhaps you prefer to find places to stay in Bali that offer a more cultural perspective.
Note that traffic can be pretty bad at times in Bali, so even though distances may not look far, don’t expect to stay in Nusa Dua and travel to the Seminyak restaurants every evening, or you will spend most of your evening sitting in a taxi.
Here we round up the selling points of each best destination in Bali to help you decide where to stay in Bali with family. We also highlight some of the best hotels in each area. You can also click here to read in more detail about family accommodation in Bali.
If you prefer to stay in a villa in Bali for your family vacation (this is very popular with families to allow for additional space and privacy), click here to check a gorgeous selection of Bali villas.
You many also like our article about the best things to do in Bali with kids.
Nusa Dua is one of the most popular areas to stay in Bali for families. If you are looking to just hang out on a beautiful beach for your Bali vacation, then Nusa Dua is definitely a good option.
You won’t experience a lot of local Bali culture here, as the area is really just dedicated to the top Bali luxury resorts. However, if you are just looking for some downtime and to enjoy some beautiful beaches, then Nusa Dua is definitely where to go in Bali. There is also a good golf course here.
You will find a lot of the big international chain hotels in Nusa Dua and dining out really centres around these hotel restaurants. Most people who choose to stay in Nusa Dua don’t venture too far from their resort during their Bali vacation.
Our pick of the best family hotels in Nusa Dua include:
- Grand Hyatt: Full of family facilities, including five swimming pools, water slides, tennis courts, outdoor playground and kids club. Click here to check prices and availability.
- Westin Resort: Family friendly facilities include three swimming pools, waterslide, outdoor playground. We love their two-bedrooms family suites. Click here to check prices and availability.
- St Regis: Ultimate in luxury, with gorgeous beachfront setting. Has swimming pool, saltwater lagoon and kids club with outdoor playground. Click here to check prices and availability.
The Jimbaran Bay beaches don’t really rival those in Nusa Dua, but there is a bit more to Jimbaran Bay than resort-laden Nusa Dua. There are the famous seafood restaurants on the beach to enjoy here, from where you can enjoy some fabulous sunsets.
Another selling point for Jimbaran Bay is that it is close to the airport, making it one of the best places to stay in Bali if you are just here for a weekend break.
Our pick of the best family hotels in Jimbaran bay include:
- Intercontinental Bali: Full of family facilities, with five swimming pools, beach volleyball and one of the best kid clubs in Bali. Click here to check prices and availability.
- AYANA Resort: Together with sister hotel RIMBA, guests have access to 17 bars & restaurants, 11 swimming pools, water slides and an 18-hole putting course. Also has a great kids club. Click here to check prices and availability.
- Four Seasons Resort: Villas are filled with child-friendly touches like kids bathrobes, there is a kids play area in the main restaurant, kids cooking classes on offer and a kids club. Click here to check prices and availability.
It’s all happening in Kuta, one of the most popular places to stay in Bali. There’s always a crowd in Kuta, whether you are here for the wild nightlife, busy beaches, or everybody’s favourite water park, Waterbom Bali.
This is the best place to stay in Bali if you like to be in on the action. There is plenty going on here to keep the whole family entertained, and plenty of restaurants, good shopping and supermarkets with everything easily on hand.
Kuta also has a good selection of budget and mid-range accommodation for families.
However, Kuta is known as the party capital of the island, so may not be the best place in Bali for families with young children.
Our pick of the best family hotel in Kuta:
- Hard Rock Hotel Bali: Loads of great facilities for families including a gorgeous swimming pool, playroom for toddlers, kids club, teen club and even a rock climbing wall. Click here to check prices and availability.
Seminyak is where the beautiful people hang out in Bali. More refined than its neighbour Kuta, Seminyak is one of the best places to go in Bali for high-end restaurants, shopping and spas.
Although my personal favourite place to stay, the downside of Seminyak for families is the beaches – the waves are usually too rough for kids and the black sand is less appealing than those white sandy stretches in Nusa Dua.
If you like to eat out though and enjoy fabulous cocktails at sunset, then Seminyak is hard to beat. There is a good choice of high-end beachfront hotels here and also a good selection of Bali family villas.
Our pick of the best family hotels in Seminyak include:
- W Bali: While there is no kids club, kids will love their tiered swimming pool and easy access to the beach. Staff are great with kids and there is a toy box in the restaurant. Click here to check prices and availability.
- Oberoi: Again, no kids club but lots of space to run around in the tropical gardens and a lovely swimming pool. Click here to check prices and availability.
Just north of Seminyak, Canggu is becoming increasingly popular with families. Its reputation as one of the best places to visit in Bali with family is thanks to its quieter beaches, relaxed dining options and wide choice of family-friendly villas in Bali.
Canggu is close enough to travel into Seminyak for dinner in the evening, and also boasts fun family hangout Finns Beach Club.
If you’re looking for beautiful rice paddies, interesting temples and the chance to immerse yourself in local culture, then Ubud is where to stay in Bali Indonesia.
Ubud has a lovely laid back feel to it, but still boasts a good selection of restaurants and bars, and some of the top Bali family resorts. Many of the resorts are dotted in amongst the countryside for rural seclusion, while others are within walking distance of the town.
There is the monkey forest to explore, boutique shopping and markets to browse. Don’t miss the chance to take a wander through the Tegallalang Rice Terraces and to visit the famous Tirta Empul water temple.
Our pick of the best family hotels in Ubud include:
- Padma Ubud: Has a beautiful infinity pool with swim-up bar and kids club right next door, with small kids pool and waterfall. Click here to check prices and availability.
- Four Seasons Sayan: Family suites with separate kids bedrooms, two-tiered swimming pools and one of the best kids clubs in Bali. Click here to check prices and availability.
Located on the East coast of Bali, Sanur is a great choice for families looking for a quieter Bali family vacation. More laid back and less built up than the beaches on the West coast, Sanur still boasts several family friendly restaurants, bars and low-key accommodation.
The beach is relatively narrow, but is protected by the reef meaning the water is calmer for kids to splash about in.
Our pick of the best family hotels in Sanur:
- Fairmont Sanur: Luxury hotel with gorgeous swimming pool, beach club and kids club complete with a mini cinema. Click here to check prices and availability.
You may also like our article: The Best Family Resorts in Bali
Pin it for Later!
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. If you make a booking or purchase using one of these links, we may receive a small commission – at absolutely no extra cost to you.